Attorney Alan Dershowitz, who has previously defended former President Donald Trump in public and in the congressional chambers, argued there is enough evidence to indict the former president.
While discussing revelations from the heavily redacted affidavit released Friday, Dershowitz argued that despite there being enough evidence, prosecutors won’t charge Trump due to precedents he dubbed the “Nixon-Clinton standards.”
“There is enough evidence here to indict Trump. But Trump will not be indicted, in my view, because the evidence doesn’t pass what I call the Nixon-Clinton standards,” Dershowitz said during a segment on Hannity.
“The Nixon standard is: The case has to be so overwhelmingly strong that even Republicans support it,” he said. “And the Clinton standard is: Why is this case more serious than Clinton’s case, where there wasn’t a criminal prosecution?”
Dershowitz cautioned that his assessment could change if redacted portions of the affidavit were revealed to the public, but he underscored that there “should not be an indictment based on what we’ve seen up to now.”
Drawing contrast with many conservatives, including Trump, Dershowitz also defended Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart’s approval of the search warrant that led to the raid in August, arguing that “every judge would have made the same ruling.”
However, he argued that Attorney General Merrick Garland should never have sought the warrant in the first place, contending that the affidavit indicated “there was no urgency.”
“If they wanted a search warrant, if it was so urgent, they could have gotten it five months ago. And even when they got the search warrant, they waited two days. There was no justification for a search warrant. So if you want to talk about who’s to blame here, it’s not Reinhardt, it’s the attorney general of the United States — he should never have sought a search warrant,” Dershowitz said.
Read the full story here.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.