Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin was transferred into critical care on Sunday night after being admitted to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center earlier in the day for a bladder issue, the Pentagon said in a statement.
The news is the latest wrinkle in a health controversy that began last month over the Cabinet official’s secretive hospitalization for complications following a procedure to treat prostate cancer.
“Earlier today, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III was transported by his security detail to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center to be seen for symptoms suggesting an emergent bladder issue,” the Pentagon said in a statement. “Tonight, after a series of tests and evaluations, the Secretary was admitted into the critical care unit at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for supportive care and close monitoring.”
“At this time, it is not clear how long Secretary Austin will remain hospitalized,” the statement continued. “The current bladder issue is not expected to change his anticipated full recovery. His cancer prognosis remains excellent. Updates on the Secretary’s condition will be provided as soon as possible.”
Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder said in a separate statement that Austin, at approximately 5 p.m. EST, “transferred the functions and duties of the office of the Secretary of Defense to Deputy Secretary of Defense Kathleen Hicks.”
Austin, 70, faced blowback earlier this year after the revelation that he had been hospitalized on January 1 for complications stemming from a prostate cancer procedure and delegated some of his duties to a deputy without informing top brass in the Biden administration and Congress.
Read the full story here.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.