A recent Wall Street Journal poll found that 73% of Americans consider Joe Biden, 80, “too old” to serve a second term as president of the United States.
Fox News reported that the Journal poll validated an Associated Press-NORC poll from last week, which found that 77% of Americans overall and 69% of Democrats view Biden as “too old to effectively serve” another term.
Survey results are disconcerting to Biden administration officials and top Democrats who want to see a Blue wave sweep the country in 2024.
President Biden’s (and Vice President Harris’) disapproval ratings continue to rise — as does pushback from multiple legacy media outlets on White House narratives that present a glowing view of the economy, the border and Biden’s handling of the pandemic.
Adding salt to the wound, Dennis DeConcini, a former Democratic senator, told NBC that Biden is “too old” to run for reelection.
Viewing Biden as the best of the bad choices for Democrats, DeConcini said that “the Democratic Party just doesn’t have any choice” as they are “kind of stuck with Biden.”
DeConcini reiterated: “Democrats just don’t have any choice and it’s so difficult.”
Noting his opinion that Vice President Kamala Harris was unelectable, the former senator said: “In my opinion … Democrats really have a problem if [Biden doesn’t] run because [Vice President] Kamala Harris — I don’t think she could be elected.”
“We’re kind of stuck with Biden because of that,” he added.
- The 66% of Democrats who say Biden is “too old” to run for a second term figure is up from about 50% of Democrats last spring. This, according to May surveys by the Washington Post-ABC News and Yahoo/YouGov, and a June Quinnipiac University poll.
- In February, the AP-NORC poll also asked people for the first word that comes to mind when they think of Biden. At that time, 20% mentioned his age. That number has doubled in six months.
- NBC polling noted that concerns regarding Biden’s physical and mental health have risen 17% since taking office.
- A Pew poll showed that the number of Americans who described Biden as “mentally sharp” decreased by 20% since March 2021 March 2021.
- Fox News polls show that since September 2021 the number of independent voters who assess Biden as having the “mental soundness” to serve effectively has decreased by 23%.
Pressure is mounting for the DNC to establish a voter-endorsed plan to take back the White House and the House of Representatives in 2024.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.