There is no doubt the abortion issue will play a key role in the 2024 election.
Eight states appear to be preparing to include abortion referendums on the ballot.
Many Republican-led state legislative bodies adopted new abortion restrictions following the 2022 U.S. Supreme Court’s decision regarding Roe v. Wade, which generally gave states great latitude to establish laws regarding abortion restrictions and services.
The move to override these newer laws seems to be spurred on by Democratic wins last week in Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia and Pennsylvania. Emboldened, multiple Democratic groups are moving to ensure abortion referendums are incorporated into 2024 ballots.
Democratic strategists are targeting eight states to introduce referendum petitions. Notably, 24 competitive House seats are at stake in these states. Though the odds are long, DNC leaders hope to capture those seats, take control of the House and use the momentum to propel Biden to victory.
The states in question include:
- Maryland — This state is already set to have an abortion referendum on the 2024 ballot.
- New York — This state is already set to have an abortion referendum on the 2024 ballot.
- Arizona — Democratic legislatures in this state are attempting to introduce a constitutional amendment to guarantee abortion rights.
- Nevada — Democratic legislatures in this state are attempting to introduce a constitutional amendment to guarantee abortion rights.
- Florida — Democrat legislatures in this state are attempting to introduce a constitutional amendment to guarantee abortion rights.
- Iowa — Republican legislatures in this state are attempting to introduce a constitutional amendment to limit abortion procedures.
- Pro-abortion advocates in Colorado and Nebraska are actively working to propose constitutional amendments to either limit or protect access to abortion, according to the Washington Examiner.
The Washington Examiner reported that Democrats in New York are prepared to spend $20 million to move forward pro-abortion initiatives. Republicans note that four Democratic House seats were flipped to red during the 2022 election.
Hotly contested Senate races are expected to play a role in moving forward legislation in Arizona and Nevada. Political experts note the governor and President Joe Biden won in Arizona by narrow margins in races that continue to be contested today.
Senate races in Nevada and West Virginia are expected to be fiercely contested as well. Last week, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia announced he would not seek reelection. However, some speculate that his announcement of a national “listening tour” is a first step in his announcing a bid to run for president as an independent, a move that would likely draw votes from President Biden.
Republicans have charged that the war in Israel, the slow response in quelling pro-Palestinian protests and the push for abortion referendums are designed to distract from the Biden administration’s low approval rating.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.