It has been said that “nobody cares” about the work of the January 6 Select Committee investigating the breach of the Capitol. In what some say is a desperate attempt to keep a narrative alive, the labeled hyperpartisan committed that has “lost all credibility” and showed themselves guilty of “altering evidence and lying about it,” suddenly announced scheduling a hearing for Tuesday at 1 p.m. EDT.
This is the latest in a series of schedule changes and comes after Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said last week there would be no more hearings until after the July 4 recess.
A source close to the Committee reports the schedule change will allow the team “to present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.”
Committee member Rep. Jamie Raskin, D-Md., stirred speculation by referring to “a deluge of new evidence.”
NBC News correspondent Gary Grumbach noted that the Committee is concerned about low public interest in the hearings and has been knocked out of the news cycle by several recent events, tweeting:
“They were knocked out of the news cycle by the signing of gun legislation and the overturning of Roe v. Wade, but the Jan. 6th committee is back – they will hold a hearing *tomorrow* “to present recently obtained evidence and receive witness testimony.”
Chairman Thompson told reporters last Wednesday that hearings would not reconvene until July because the team needed time to process new evidence recently made available.
“We’ve taken in some additional information that’s going to require additional work. So rather than present hearings that have not been the quality of the hearings in the past, we made a decision to just move into sometime in July.”
The Committee’s panel’s investigators, who have spent $1.6 million in tax dollars in the last three months, have tried to bolster their case by summoning and interviewing British filmmaker Alex Holder.
Holder had previously filmed a documentary about the Trump family and former Vice President Mike Pence.
The Committee maintains the footage, which is not private material, was a significant find as it includes an interview with Trump and Pence.
Most do not envision incriminating evidence coming from the British documentary.
The Committee, which has been investigating the matter for more than 15 months, notes they expect a new batch of documents from the National Archives.
However, it is doubtful this information will be introduced on Tuesday as a letter from acting Archivist Debra Steidel Wall noted the documents would not be released until July 8.
The Washington Times has referred to the work of the January 6 Committee as a kangaroo court, writing in a recent article:
“’Jan. 6 Committee Lays Out Potential Criminal Charges Against Trump,’ screamed the headline from The New York Times in their latest anti-Trump screed. There’s just one problem with this – congressional fact-finding committees can’t file criminal charges. Not to mention, the politicized Select Committee appears to have already decided on its preferred conclusion before completing its investigation.”
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.