Kayti Edwards, the ex-girlfriend of “Friends” star Matthew Perry, revealed the extreme step he took to stop taking drugs at the height of his addiction, several years before his death from a ketamine overdose.
On October 28, Perry, 54, was found face-down in the hot tub of his Los Angeles home. While it was initially believed that Perry had drowned, a medical examiner’s report confirmed that ketamine caused his death.
“The County of Los Angeles Department of Medical Examiner determined the cause of death for 54-year-old actor Matthew Langford Perry as the acute effects of ketamine,” the Los Angeles coroner’s office said on Dec. 15. “Contributing factors in Mr Perry’s death include drowning, coronary artery disease, and the effects of buprenorphine (used to treat opioid use disorder). The manner of death is accident.”
Edwards dated Perry in 2006, and worked as his assistant in 2011, while he was at the height of his drug addiction. On Saturday, she spoke to The Sun, recalling the time that Perry glued his hands to his knees as he attempted to stop taking more drugs.
She said that Perry was at his house in the Hollywood Hills and was “in a bad way,” when she found him.
“He had been getting high all night on a plethora of drugs, most likely crack cocaine and other substances,” she said. “I found Matthew on the couch with his hands superglued to his legs — it was desperately sad. I had to use nail polish remover and olive oil to free him. We were literally ripping the hair from his legs and he had red, raw patches left behind, it was pretty horrific.”
Edwards had previously called for his doctors to be investigated after confirmation that ketamine was the catalyst behind his death.
The medical examiner’s report on Perry’s death confirmed that he died from the “acute effects of ketamine,” and drowning, saying that the actor had similar quantities of ketamine in his system as a hospital patient under general anesthetic.
Perry had been undergoing ketamine infusion therapy for depression, but his final session before his death had taken place a week and a half prior to his passing, suggesting that it did not directly cause his death.
Edwards, who used to buy Perry’s drugs for him, said she had lots of unanswered questions, saying that she did not believe he bought ketamine from the street and said his doctors needed to explain further.
“I’m pretty sure that in Matthew’s brain, ketamine infusions at a doctor’s would count as still being sober,” she told The Sun. “In his brain it’s not the same as going on the street to buy crack or heroin.”
Perry had been sober for 19 months, the medical examiner reported, adding that there was no trace of heroin, cocaine, meth or fentanyl in his system.
Edwards suggested that the ketamine treatment would have pushed him back to doing drugs beyond the doctor’s office.
“That probably was the stepping stone for him to go back to doing drugs,” she said. “I think the doctors who had been working with Matthew should be investigated. I’m pretty sure he would have had an in with a doctor. It’s very hard to get ketamine on the street but it is very easy for a doctor or a nurse to get.”
Edwards also was unsurprised when she said he was found dead in the hot tub, because he often took drugs and got into the water.
“I wasn’t there so I don’t know exactly what happened but I do know Matthew as a person and a friend and I know the patterns that led up to this,” she said. “I could see it from a mile away, he didn’t seem right during the last couple weeks of his life.”
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.