On Monday, NASCAR star Kyle Busch addressed reports from late last month, claiming that he was detained in Mexico while returning from a vacation in Cancun.
In a press release that was put out over the weekend, the Mexico Prosecutor General’s Office said that a Nevada man, identified as “Kyle Thomas B,” was arrested in the country after a handgun was found in his possession. Authorities said the weapon contained hollow-point bullets.
Busch has since confirmed in a statement posted to Twitter that he was the individual responsible.
“In late January, Samantha and I enjoyed a several-day vacation in Mexico,” Busch said. “When departing the country, my handgun was flagged during routine screening at the airport. I have a valid concealed carry permit from my local authority and adhere to all handgun laws, but I made a mistake by forgetting it was in my bag.”
Discovery of the handgun led to my detainment while the situation was resolved. I was not aware of Mexican law and had no intention of bringing my handgun into Mexico,” he continued.
“When it was discovered, I fully cooperated with the authorities, accepted the penalties, and returned to North Carolina,” Busch added. “I apologize for my mistake and appreciate the respect shown by all parties as we resolved the matter. My family and I consider this issue closed.”
Busch is currently involved in his first season with Richard Childress Racing, the team he joined after the 2022 season ended, along with his time with Joe Gibbs Racing.
Busch raced as recently as Sunday in the Busch Light Clash at the Coliseum, finishing in third place. Mexican officials sentenced Busch to 3.5 years in prison and fined him $1,100; however, it is unknown how Busch will be able to serve his sentence.
At present, Busch will be preparing for the Daytona 500, which will serve as the official start of the 2023 NASCAR season on Feb. 19. Busch made no mention of a prison sentence in his statement.
Scroll down to leave a comment and share your thoughts.